This salad is inspired by California Pizza Kitchen’s BBQ chicken salad, with crisp lettuce and jicama, sweet BBQ chicken and juicy corn kernels. You can cook the chicken thighs on a grill pan, or use an outdoor grill if the weather permits. Tortilla strips add a welcome crunch to the salad—find them in the salad dressing aisle at major supermarkets.
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 20 mins
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat plain strained (Greek-style) yogurt
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 1 ½ cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 small avocados, cut into 18 slices
- 1 cup peeled jicama strips
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry with paper towels; brush with canola oil and season both sides evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, turning occasionally, until grill marks appear on both sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large plate; let cool for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, milk, olive oil, lime juice, dill, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until smooth.
Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces; place in a medium bowl. Add barbecue sauce; toss until well coated.
Combine lettuce, black beans, corn, 3/4 cup cheese, basil, cilantro and the dressing in a large bowl; toss with tongs until well coated.
Divide the salad among 6 bowls (about 1 1/2 cups each). Top each with 3 avocado slices, about 3 tablespoons jicama, about 3 tablespoons tortilla strips and 2 teaspoons cheese; add 1/3 cup tomatoes around the edges of each bowl. Top each bowl with 1/2 cup barbecue chicken. Garnish with additional cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
To make ahead
Refrigerate dressing (Step 2) in an airtight container for up to 3 days.